Carrot and cashew fan
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
500g carrots, peeled and diced
110g onion, sliced
220g cashew nuts, finely ground
125g white breadcrumbs
7tbsp chopped fresh dill
3½ tbsp vegetable oil
150g dried puy lentils, washed
3 large, juicy oranges
12 cardamom pods, split down one side, but not opened
2 – 3 cloves garlic, crushed
2½ tsp pomegranate molasses
To taste salt and pepper
To garnish: Dill and pomegranate seeds to garnish
To make the fan: Preheat oven to Gas 6 / 200C.
1. Finely blend carrot and onion, mix with nuts, crumbs, 4tbsp dill and seasoning, until moist and clumping together.
2. Divide mixture between two 20cm, greased, lined sandwich tins, press down, brush each with 1½ tbsp oil.
3. Bake for 35 mins until firm and crispy. Stand for 5 mins, turn out to serve.
To make the lentil mixture
1. Put lentils, peel of ½ an orange and 6 cardamom pods into a pan.
2. Cover with boiling water, add salt, cover and simmer for 15 – 20 mins until ‘al dente’. Drain, removing cardamom pods and orange peel.
3. Mix garlic, 3 tbsp orange juice, 1 tsp pomegranate molasses, 3 tbsp chopped dill and ½ tbsp vegetable oil. Season well and mix with lentils.
For the sauce
1. Grate zest of 1 orange into a saucepan.
2. Add juice from remaining oranges, 6 cardamom pods, 1½ tsp pomegranate molasses and 2 tbsp water.
3. Boil then simmer until mixture reduces by about two thirds.
1. Cut each fan into 8 wedges.
2. Top each mound of lentils with 4 overlapping wedges, crispy side up.
3. Drizzle with sauce, garnish with dill and pomegranate seeds.
©˚Cordon Vert school, recipe created by Marise Maddison 2008. Visit www.cordonvert.co.uk to find out more.