This is real comfort food – sweet roasted roots, beans and tomatoes all topped with a crunchy crust of cheesy Shredded Wheat.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes approx
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (per serving excluding bacon)
359 cals (18% GDA)
11.9g fat (17% GDA)
3.9g saturates (19.5% GDA)
26.2g sugar (29.1% GDA)
1.9g salt (31.7% GDA)
1 serving of whole grain
3 medium red onions, peeled and each cut into 8 wedges
4 carrots, peeled and cut into wedges on a slant
2 celery sticks, chopped
5 garlic cloves
4 rashers lean, rindless bacon, chopped (optional)
2tbsp olive oil
2 bay leaves
350g/12oz cherry tomatoes
400g can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
200ml/7fl oz vegetable stock
1tbsp chopped fresh sage
For the topping
75g/2¾ oz Bitesize Shredded Wheat, crumbled
50g/1¾ oz mature cheddar, finely grated
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/ Gas 6.
2. Place the onions, carrots, celery, garlic, bacon (optional), oil and bay leaves in a roasting tin. Season well.
3. Cover with foil and cook for 25 minutes.
4. Remove the foil and add the tomatoes, beans, stock and sage. Return to the oven and cook for a further 10-12 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, in a small bowl mix the topping ingredients together and set to one side.
6. Transfer the vegetables into 4 individual, heatproof shallow soup bowls or gratin dishes. Sprinkle over the Bitesize Shredded Wheat topping and place under a preheated grill for 1-2 minutes until golden and crusty. Serve straight away.