Devonshire Squab Pie
Preparation time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
450g/1lb lean lamb neck fillet, sliced
Salt and freshly milled black pepper
Pinch ground nutmeg
2.5ml/½tsp ground mace
2.5ml/½tsp ground cinnamon
1 red apple, cored and sliced into thin wedges
1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
8 dried ready-to-eat prunes, chopped
10ml/2tsp light brown sugar
150ml/¼pint good, hot lamb stock
350g prepared shortcrust pastry
1 egg, beaten
1. In a large bowl mix the lamb, seasoning, spices and cornflour together.
2. Arrange the lamb, apple and onion in layers, Add the prunes, sugar and stock.
3. Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F.
4. On a floured surface roll out the pastry large enough to fit over a 1.2L/2pint ovenproof pie dish. Dampen the edge of the dish with a little water and place the pastry on top of the dish. Trim off any excess pastry and press and crimp the edges to seal. Brush with the beaten egg and cook in the oven for 1 hour until golden brown.
5. Serve the pie the traditional way with clotted cream, seasonal vegetables and potatoes.