Fig and walnut mince pies
Makes: 12 with enough filling for a further two batches
Preparation time: 30 mins
Marinade: 1-2 hours
Cooking time: 10 mins
500g/18oz ready-made shortcrust pastry
vegan margarine for greasing baking tin
250g/9oz dried figs, chopped
50g/2oz dried dates, chopped
50g/2oz glacé cherries, chopped
50g/2oz walnuts, lightly toasted and chopped
5 tbsp brandy or whisky
½ tsp mixed spice
pinch freshly grated nutmeg
2.5cm fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 ripe banana, peeled and mashed
1. To make the mincemeat, put the dried fruit, glacé cherries and walnuts into a bowl. Pour over the alcohol, the ginger and the spices. Stir well and leave to stand for 1-2 hours, stirring from time to time. Add the banana and mix well.
2. Preheat the oven to 200C/R6. Grease a 12-hole jam tart tin.
3. Roll the pastry out thinly. Using an 8cm circular pastry cutter and a 4cm star-shaped pastry cutter, cut out 12 circles and 12 star shapes.
4. Press the circles gently into each section of the tin, then put a heaped teaspoon of mincemeat into each and top with the star shaped pastry.
5. Bake for 10 minutes, until lightly browned.
6. Cool in the tin for a few minutes then transfer to a wire rack. Serve while still warm, sprinkled with a little caster sugar
Recipe and image courtesy of The Vegetarian Society – (recipe created by the Cordon Vert cookery school) www.vegsoc.org