Veggie Christmas Kitchen – Gluhwein (Vegan)
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 5 mins
1 bottle full-bodied vegetarian / vegan red wine
1 cinnamon stick
4 split cardamom pods
2″ fresh root ginger, finely grated
4-6 tbsp sugar
200ml brandy (optional but recommended!)
1. Pour the wine into a large saucepan.
2. Cut the orange into quarters and push cloves into the rind of one quarter.
3. Slice the remaining three pieces thinly.
4. Add the orange quarter and slices to the pan with the cinnamon, cardamom, finely grated ginger and sugar.
5. Heat slowly until hot, but do not allow to boil and add the brandy
6. Strain and serve in heatproof glasses or small cups. If you are worried about the glass breaking, stand a metal teaspoon in the glass before adding the hot liquid.
© The Vegetarian Society – (recipe created by the Cordon Vert cookery school) www.vegsoc.org