Ham, lentil and pearl barley soup
Welcome to one of this month’s healthy family recipes
Please share your own ideas and healthy family recipes in the Healthy Family Recipes section of Candis Chat.
450g (1lb) thick-cut ham on the bone, chopped
4 litres (4 pints) chicken stock
4 tablespoons pearl barley
2 tablespoons Puy lentils
2 medium onions, sliced
4-6 medium carrots, diced
2 medium parsnips, diced
1/2 medium swede, diced
Ground black pepper
2 sprigs of thyme
2 bay leaves
Sprig of parsley
450g (1lb) potatoes in their skins, diced
1 small cabbage, chopped
1 leek, chopped
4 tablespoons chopped parsley
400g (14oz) tin of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
4 tablespoons snipped chives
- Place the ham in a saucepan and cover with stock. Bring to the boil, skim any scum, then add the pearl barley and lentils.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the onions, carrots, parsnips, swede, pepper, thyme, bay leaves and parsley. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently for a further 15 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and cabbage and return to the boil. Simmer until they are just tender (about 15 minutes).
- Add the chopped leek and parsley and cook for a further
5 minutes or until the leek is just tender.
- Add the beans and warm through. Ladle into soup bowls and serve sprinkled with chives.
Per portion: 264 kcal, 3g fat, 0.8g sat fat, 0.97g sodium