Leek and chestnut purses
Veggie Christmas Kitchen – Leek and chestnut purses (with ginger and red pepper relish)
This recipe can be vegan
Serves: 4 (3 purses each)
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
2-2 ½ tbsp olive oil
100g leeks, trimmed and finely chopped
50g Arborio risotto rice
30ml dry white vegetarian / vegan wine
325-375ml light vegetable stock
60g chestnuts (vacuum packed), roughly chopped
2 tbsp cream or soya cream
300g filo pastry, cut into 24 x 12cm squares
1 large roasted red pepper (deseeded & skinned) – chopped
2 tsp fresh ginger, finely grated
pinch caster sugar (to your taste)
1. Pre-heat oven to Gas 6/200C/400F
2. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, lightly fry leeks until soft and golden. Stir in rice – coat well. Add wine,bring to boil. Add 175ml stock, enough to cover rice.
3. Cover pan, simmer until liquid’s absorbed.
4. Add 175ml stock and chestnuts, bring to boil, cover and simmer for 10-12 mins until rice is cooked.
5. Stir in cream, season well. Set aside.
6. Lightly brush one filo square with oil, place another on top to form an eight pointed star and brush the tips.
7. Place 2 tsp of mixture in centre, pull up edges of star to form a purse. Repeat until 12 made.
8. Bake on a tray for 15 mins until golden.
9. For relish: Mix pepper, ginger and sugar, blend well. For finer sauce, add water and sieve. Serve relish with each portion of purses.
©˚Cordon Vert school, recipe created by Sarah Kearns 2008. Visit http://www.cordonvert.co.uk to find out more.