Pumpkin and porcini mushroom risotto
225g (8oz) Parmesan cheese, plus extra to serve
- Finely grate the Parmesan cheese and set to one side.
- Put the dried mushrooms into a heatproof bowl. Mix the stock powder or cube with 850ml (1 1/2 pints) boiling water, then pour over the mushrooms and leave them to soak for about 30 minutes.
- When ready to cook, heat the olive oil in a deep frying pan or large saucepan. Add the rice and sauté it gently over a medium heat for about one or two minutes, until it looks translucent, though not browned. Add the spring onions and pumpkin or butternut squash and cook gently, stirring often, for another two or three minutes.
- Pour in the wine and let it bubble up for a few moments, and then add the soaked mushrooms and about two ladles of stock. Cook gently for about 20-25 minutes, adding more stock as needed, until the rice is tender and creamy.
- Stir in the Parmesan and season to taste. Add shavings of Parmigiano Reggiano, or freshly grate some more onto each portion, then serve.