Spicy Vegan Hot Cross Buns
A spicy yet delicious vegan hot cross bun
350g (12oz) strong plain flour
1 tsp ground mixed spice; 1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp grated nutmeg
1 sachet easy-blend yeast
25g (1oz) caster sugar; 75g (3oz) currants
25g (1oz) mixed peel, chopped
Finely grated rind of one lemon; 75g (3oz) vegan margarine, melted; 175ml (6floz) (approx) soya milk, warmed
Crosses50g (2oz) plain flour
25g (1oz) vegan margarine
Glaze25g (1oz) sugar; 30ml water
- In a large bowl mix the flour, spices, yeast, sugar, currants, mixed peel and lemon rind. Make a well in the centre and add the melted margarine and some of the warmed milk.
- Mix until a soft dough is formed, adding more milk if necessary.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes. Place in an oiled bowl, cover with cling film and leave in a warm place until doubled in size. (1-2 hours).
- Meanwhile to make the crosses, rub the margarine into the flour and add enough water to bind. Roll out the pastry quite thinly then cut into thin strips.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, knock it down and knead for 5 minutes. Divide into 12 pieces, roll each piece into a ball and leave on a greased baking tray. Leave to rise again for about 30 mins.
- To make the glaze heat the water and sugar in a pan until the sugar dissolves.
- Leave to cool. Glaze each bun and top with pastry crosses.
- Bake at 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 for about 20 minutes or until golden.