Feta and pomegranate buckwheat salad
This salad is nutritionally balanced with a source of protein from the cheese and lots of fibre from the colourful vegetables
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
1 handful fresh parsley or mint
60g feta cheese, crumbled
160g pomegranate seeds (about 1 whole pomegranate)
1 courgette, medium sized, cut into strips
1 sweet red or orange pepper, diced
For the dressing…
30ml lemon/lime juice
10ml vinegar (red or white wine, balsamic)
30ml olive oil
1cm fresh ginger, finely chopped, or a handful of fresh herbs (mint, parsley or coriander)
a pinch of salt and pepper, to taste
1. Rinse the buckwheat thoroughly in cold water.
2. Bring 750mls of water to the boil. Add the buckwheat, stir, cover with a lid and then simmer for 20 minutes on a low heat until most of the water has been absorbed. Add in the parsley or mint.
3. Remove from the heat, drain any excess water and let stand for 10 minutes. When ready, separate the grains with a fork.
4. Add in the feta cheese then sprinkle on the pomegranate seeds.
5. Using a spiralizer or a julienne potato peeler, create thin strips of courgette and then add to mixture. Stir in diced pepper and then mix all the salad ingredients together.
6. Mix all the dressing ingredients together and pour over the buckwheat salad. Divide between two plates and serve.
Chef’s tip: There are many variations to try for this dish, such as:
- Try Tabasco, mustard or chilli for a more adventurous dressing
- Try blue cheese instead of feta
- Try using a different grain, such as quinoa or cous cous
- Substitute pomegranate seeds for cranberries (80g fresh or 13g dried per person)
Recipe and image courtesy of loveyourgut.com