Fired-up Mushroom, Chorizo and Potato Hash
Perfect for a simple brunch, lunch or supper, this delicious hash is fired up with fresh chilli for a bit of spicy heat.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
2kg new (or Charlotte) potatoes, cut into chunks
1 tbsp olive oil
150g chorizo sausage, chopped
6 spring onions or 1 small red onion, chopped
2 tsp chopped fresh red or green chilli
200g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
3 tbsp vegetable oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Cook the potatoes in lightly salted boiling water for 15-20 minutes, until tender.
2. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, then add the chorizo sausage, onions and chilli. Cook over a medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes. Add the chestnut mushrooms and cook for a further 3-4 minutes, until the mushrooms are browned.
3. Drain the potatoes well, then tip them into the frying pan and stir well. Keep warm over a low heat, stirring occasionally.
4. At this point, heat the vegetable oil in a separate frying pan and fry the eggs until done to your liking.
5. Share the potato hash between four warmed serving plates and place a fried egg on top of each portion. Serve, sprinkled with freshly ground black pepper.
Cook’s tips: Make sure you buy chorizo sausage that needs cooking – just check the packaging. If you prefer, poach the eggs instead of frying them.
Recipe and image courtesy of The Mushroom Bureau