Goan squash and coconut curry
Ready in: 1 hour
1 onion, roughly chopped
2cm piece of root ginger, peeled and grated
400g can chickpeas, drained
2 green chillies, deseeded and roughly chopped
Low calorie cooking spray
1 tsp black mustard seeds
2 tsp cumin seeds
8 curry leaves (optional)
1 tsp turmeric
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 large butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into chunks
600ml boiling vegetable stock
1 tbsp tomato purée
160ml light coconut milk
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
Small handful of finely chopped fresh coriander, to garnish
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped, to garnish
1. Put the onion, ginger, half the chickpeas and the green chillies in a food processor and blitz to a fine purée.
2. Spray a heavy-based non-stick saucepan with low calorie cooking spray and place over a medium heat. Add the black mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves, if using, and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes to release their fragrance.
3. Stir in the turmeric and cinnamon. Reduce the heat to low, add the onion purée and cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the squash to coat well with the spices.
4. Add the stock, tomato purée, remaining chickpeas and the coconut milk and cook gently for 25-30 minutes or until the squash is tender.
5. Add the vinegar and cook for 1 minute, then scatter over the coriander and red chilli and serve hot with your favourite rice.
Recipes taken from Slimming World’s Veggie Deluxe, which is available in all Slimming World groups now and priced at £4.95. Find Slimming World online or call 0844 897 8000 to find your nearest group.
Photo: Slimming World’s Veggie Deluxe/Gareth Morgans.