Goats Cheese, Roasted Leek and Walnut Pie
500g Jus Rol™ Shortcrust Pastry
Beaten egg to glaze
3 leeks – halved, washed and drained then cut into 3-4cm lengths
Olive oil for drizzling
150 – 160g Goats cheese
50g walnut pieces + further 15g
2-3 tbsp sun dried tomato paste or tapenade
Black pepper and a little salt to season + pinch of large grained sea salt for garnish (optional)
Preheat oven to 200ºC (180ºC for fan assisted) Gas Mark 6.
1. Scatter the prepared leeks on a baking tray, drizzle lightly with oil and roast for 15-20 minutes until tender. Allow to cool.
2. Meanwhile divide the pastry into 2 halves and roll out one half large enough to cut out a disc approx. 25.5cm/10” in diameter (use a dinner plate as a cutting guide). Place the pastry disc on a lined baking sheet (don’t worry if it does not fit exactly at this stage, it will end up smaller in diameter) and spread the centre, leaving a border of approx 2cm, all round, with the tomato paste or tapenade.
3. Combine the cooled leeks, cheese broken or cut into pieces and the walnuts and season with black pepper and a little salt. Place onto the pastry base, spreading it in an even layer but leaving a border all round of approx. 2cm.
4. Roll out the other half of the pastry as before, brush the base border with beaten egg and place the second pastry disc on top. Bring up the base border and pinch it together with the top pastry all round to form a seal. Make a small hole in the centre to allow the steam to escape.
5. Brush the top with beaten egg and scatter with a little of the sea salt and the remaining walnut pieces, roughly chopped. Bake for 20-25 minutes until pastry is golden.