Hazelnut coffee whoopie pies
25g polyunsaturated margarine, at room temperature
200g light soft brown sugar
1 medium egg, beaten
350g plain flour, sifted
25g cocoa powder, sifted
1 ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
200ml low fat butter milk
1 tbsp The Flavour Collective Roasted Hazelnut coffee dissolved in 2 tsp water
1 tbsp toasted hazelnuts chopped
For the filling:
50g unsalted butter, at room temperature
150g icing sugar, sifted
1 tbsp The Flavour Collective Roasted Hazelnut coffee dissolved in 2 tsp hot water
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and line 2 baking trays with non stick paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until smooth then beat in the egg. In another bowl mix in the flour, cocoa, bicarbonate soda then add the buttermilk – stir mixture in to the creamed butter and sugar.
- Spoon out 24 even tablespoonfuls of the mixture onto the baking sheets allowing room to spread. Flatten the tops a little with the back of a dampened teaspoon.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until risen and slightly cracked and set aside on a cooling rack.
- Mix all the filling ingredients together in a bowl until smooth then spread evenly onto one half of a cooled shell, pressing another shell on top to make one whoopie pie. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.