Beef and vegetable pie
Leftover Sunday Roast – Irish Beef Pies
Makes: 4 individual pies
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
For the short crust pastry:
340g (12oz) plain flour
150g (5oz) margarine
3-4 tbsp cold water
1 egg for glazing
For the filling:
1 onion finely chopped
1 clove garlic – crushed
350g-400g cooked beef (from Sunday roast)
350 ml beef stock
1-2 tbs of plain flour (depending on how thick you like your gravy)
1. Sift the flour and a pinch of salt into a bowl
2. Cut the margarine into small pieces and rub into the flour until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs.
3. Add enough water to mix to a soft dough.
4. Wrap in cling film and put in the fridge.
5. Fry onion and garlic in the butter then add the beef. Next add the left over vegetables and stock
6. Mix the flour into a paste with a little cold water, add to the pan and simmer for 10 minutes
7. Season and leave to cool.
8. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured work surface to make a pie case and lid. Cut four cases to fit four small/individual greased baking tins. Leave the pastry lid to one side.
9. Fill with the beef mixture and then drape a pastry lid over them. Trim the excess and pinch around the edge. Make a hole in the centre to let out the steam.
10. Place on a baking tray and cook at 180ºC/ R4 for 35-45 minutes