Lamb and bean hotpot
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
2 New Zealand Lamb chump chops, trimmed
1 tbsp sunflower oil
1 medium onion, chopped
100g (4oz) baby mushrooms
1 medium leek, trimmed and chopped
1 medium carrot, thickly sliced
200g (7oz) can butterbeans
1 tsp. caraway seeds
1 tbsp plain flour
450ml (¾pt) lamb stock
1 tbsp. dry sherry (optional)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the oil in a heavy base pan, add the chops and brown quickly.
2. Remove from the pan, add the onion to the remaining fat and cook until starting to colour, then stir in the mushrooms, leek and carrot.
3. Cook for 2 more minutes then blend in the flour and, off the heat, gradually stir it the stock.
4. Bring the sauce to the boil, return the chops to the pan, reduce the heat, check for seasoning then cover the pan and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
5. Check the dish occasionally in case it starts to stick. Stir in the beans and sherry if using, check for seasoning then simmer for a further 10 minutes until heated through and the lamb is tender.
Hints and Tips
- If preferred the hotpot can be cooked in the oven. It will take 45 minutes at 180°C/R4 plus an extra 15 minutes once the beans have been added.
- Double quantity of this recipe would make an ideal meal for four people.