Mini Shepherd’s Pie
Preparation time: 20 minutes
- 225g/8oz New Zealand Lamb mince
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 200g can tomatoes
- 5ml/1 tsp. tomato puree
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 5ml/1 tsp. dried mixed herbs
- 150g can baked beans
- 225g/8oz potatoes, roughly chopped
- 175-225g/6-8oz parsnips, roughly chopped
- 60ml/4 tbsp. fromage frais
- 5ml/1 tsp. sesame seeds
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Dry fry the mince and onion until brown. Add the canned tomatoes, tomato puree, garlic and mixed herbs and bring the mixture to the boil.
- 2. Season well, reduce the heat and simmer the meat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cooked.
- 3. Stir in the baked beans and divide the base between two individual pie dishes.
- 4. Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5.
- 5. Meanwhile cook the potatoes and parsnips together in boiling, salted water for 20-30 minutes until soft, then drain.
- 6. Mash them until smooth, stir in the fromage frais, check for seasoning then spread the mixture on top of the pies.
- 7. Sprinkle with sesame seeds then bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and heated through.
Hints and tips
- For another meal idea, serve the cooked mince and baked beans with spaghetti.
- When time is short, don’t crush a fresh garlic clove – use 5ml/1-tsp. garlic paste.