Rich Lamb and Apricot Stew
Rich Lamb and Apricot Stew with Mediterranean Cous Cous
Preparation and cooking time: 1 hour and 35 minutes
Nutritional value per serving
Saturated fat: 2.7g,
For the lamb and apricot stew:
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp Cumin seeds
Two garlic cloves, crushed
300g lean lamb (neck fillet or leg)
1 x (400g) can plum tomatoes
1 x (390g) can Eazy onions
1 x (300g) can apricots, drained
1 x (400g) can chick peas, drained
1 x (400g) can aduki beans, drained
150ml Lamb/chicken stock
1 pinch salt and fresh ground black pepper
1 tbsp tomato puree
For the couscous:
2 tbsp flaked almonds
1 (480g) jar roasted red peppers, cut into thin strips
450g cous cous
1 tbsp fresh parsley, roughly chopped
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp fresh mint, roughly chopped
Salt and ground black pepper
Lamb and apricot stew
1. Heat the oil in a heavy based saucepan, add the cumin seeds and fry for 2 minutes.
2. Add the cinnamon, easy onions and garlic, stir and cook gently for 5 minutes.
3. Add the lamb and cook until browned.
4. Add the tomatoes, drained apricots, chick peas, aduki beans, tomato puree and enough stock to just cover the meat.
5. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer on a low heat for 1 hour, or until the lamb is tender. Stir every 20 minutes, adding a little more stock if necessary.
1. Heat a frying pan; add the flaked almonds and dry-fry, tossing all the time until light brown. NB: do not leave unattended as the almonds will burn very easily.
2. Prepare the cous cous as per the instructions. Transfer to a large dish and fluff up with a fork.
3. Add the peppers, herbs, lemon juice and seasoning, stir well, transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle over the flaked almonds.
For more information on canned food and for recipe ideas, visit http://www.cannedfood.co.uk/