Shoulder of Lamb
Roast Boneless Shoulder of Lamb with Watercress, Goat’s Cheese and Mint Stuffing
1.8kg/4lb lean boneless lamb shoulder
Salt and freshly milled black pepper
30ml/2tbsp dried mixed herbs
15ml/1tbsp olive oil
For the Stuffing:
2 large garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
90ml/6tbsp freshly chopped mint
2 x 100g bags watercress, roughly chopped
200g/7oz firm goat’s cheese, diced
Preparation time: 15-20 minutes
Medium: 25 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 25 minutes
Well done: 30 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 30 minutes
1. To prepare the stuffing; in a large bowl mix all the ingredients together.
2. Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4-5, 180-190°C, 350-375°F.
3. Place the joint on a chopping board, remove any butcher’s string or elasticated meat bands (reserve for later), unroll skin side down and season on both sides with salt, pepper and dried mixed herbs. Spread the stuffing mixture evenly over the joint, but do not overfill. Roll up and secure with new butcher’s string or the reserved elasticated meat bands.
4. Weigh the joint and place on a metal rack in a large non-stick roasting tin, and drizzle with the oil. Roast for the preferred, calculated cooking time. Cover with foil if browning too quickly. Remove from the oven, cover and set aside to rest for 15-20 minutes.
5. Serve with the spinach, carrot and cucumber salad.
Tip: This recipe works well using boneless breast of lamb too.