Spiced Baked Apples
Spiced baked apples that are a quick and simple dessert
4 large cooking apples
55g (2 oz) mixed dried fruit e.g. sour cherries, mango, banana, papaya, dates etc, chopped if large
2 teaspoons brown sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch mixed spice
4 tablespoons runny honey or golden syrup
25g (1 oz) butter or margarine
Walls’ Cream of Cornish ice cream to serve
1. Remove cores from apples with corer.
2. Slit skins in a ring half way down apple using point of sharp knife, or peel thin strips vertically from apples, at intervals (to avoid the apple skin splitting).
3. Place in shallow ovenproof dish containing 1.5cm (½ inch) depth of water.
4. Stuff centre’s with fruit, sugar and spices. Pour 1 tablespoon honey or golden syrup over each and top with a little butter or margarine.
5. Bake in pre-heated oven 200 ° C. (180 ° C fan oven), Gas 6 for 40-50 minutes. Serve hot with Wall’s Cream of Cornish ice cream.
Prepare as above. Cover and microwave on HIGH for 5-8 minutes giving the dish a quarter turn 3 times during cooking. Stand for 5 minutes before serving. Serve hot with Wall’s Cream of Cornish ice cream.