Traditional roast potatoes
Traditional roast potatoes with modern attitude
3oz goose fat or lard for a traditional taste Or 4 tablespoons olive oil instead for a slightly different more modern taste.
A 1kg bag of potatoes.
1) Peel the potatoes and cut into even size pieces. Place in a saucepan and cover with boiling water. Par boil for about 10mins until the outer edges are soft and fluffy.
2) Meanwhile put the fat/oil into the roasting tin and place in an oven while it heats to 220°C.
3) Drain the potatoes and return them to the saucepan and replace the lid and rough them up a bit. This step is vitally important for crispy roasties and is recommended by most expert cooks.
4) Pop the roughed up potatoes into the hot olive fat/oil and mix them round a bit. Roast for 40 to 50 minutes.
5) Remove from the oven when they are crispy and golden. Transfer to a heated serving dish and serve immediately. Do not hang around with roast potatoes before serving as they will lose their crispiness!
For more information visit the Greenvale AP website at www.greenvale.co.uk
To make perfect roast potatoes choose Sainsbury’s heritage breed Roasties – they really do make the best roast potatoes – use