Vanilla Fruit Strudel
Light flaky pastry filled with vanilla fruit and crunchy Cheerios – delicious served warm with a dollop of reduced-fat crème fraiche.
350g/12oz ripe plums, halved, destined and sliced
4 ripe nectarines, halved, stone removed and sliced
65g/1½ oz Nestlé Cheerios
1 medium orange, juice only
1 vanilla pod, halved and seeds scraped out.
1 tbsp brown sugar
175g/6oz filo pastry
light olive oil spray
1½ tbsp flaked almonds
Icing sugar for dusting
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- In a large bowl mix together the plums, nectarines, Cheerios, orange juice, vanilla seeds and brown sugar. Set to one side.
- Cover the table with a clean tea towel or cloth.
- Lay out the filo slightly overlapping by 10cm/4in into a 30cm/12in square. Lightly spray with light olive oil.
- Scatter the fruit and Cheerio mixture evenly over the filo pastry leaving a 2.5cm/1in border.
- Roll up using the cloth to help you. Transfer the strudel onto the centre of a non-stick baking tray lined with baking parchment and shape into a crescent.
- Lightly spray the strudel with a little more light olive oil and scatter over the almonds. Bake in the oven for approx 35/40 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve warm.