Jubilee Fairy Cakes
It’s easy to create a regal confection from a simple mini sponge. Slice off the top of these little buns, pipe a crown of buttercream and add a dollop of jam. Then, simply halve the leftover sponge and push into the decoration.
125g butter, softened
125g caster sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
125g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
Zest of 1/2 orange and juice of ½ orange
For the buttercream
300g icing sugar, plus extra to dust
Zest ½ orange
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan oven/gas mark 5. Line a bun tin with paper cases.
- Make the cakes. Beat the butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale and creamy, using an electric hand whisk. Gradually add the egg, a little at a time, and whisk in. Add a spoonful of flour if the mixture looks as if it is going to curdle.
- When all the egg has been added, fold in the flour, baking powder and orange zest and juice, using a large metal spoon.
- Spoon the mixture evenly among the individual cases and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden on top. Cool on a wire rack.
- Make the buttercream by beating together the butter and half the icing in a bowl until soft and creamy using an electric hand whisk. Gradually add the remaining icing sugar, one spoonful at a time, beating in well after each addition. Fold in the orange zest.
- Carefully cut the slightly risen tops off each cake and set to one side. Spoon the icing into a piping bag and pipe a swirl on top of each cake. Spoon a little jam on top. Cut each of the cake tops in half and push into the buttercream at an angle. Dust each cake with icing sugar to serve.
Per serving: 346 kcals / 17g fat / 10g saturated fat / 46g carbs/ 39g sugar / 0.6g salt