Key lime pie with caipirinha sorbet
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
For the crust
10 dark chocolate digestive biscuits
125g butter, melted
For the filling
4 egg yolks
300ml condensed milk
200g full-fat cream cheese
Juice and zest of 4 limes
For the sorbet
100g caster sugar
3 limes, juiced
50ml Cachaca liquor (made from fermented sugar cane juice)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a food processor, blend the biscuits and granola and melted butter and mix well. Press the mixture into the bottom of a greased, high sided springform pie tin (20-22cm x 5-7cm). Bake for 5 minutes. You can also crush the biscuits and granola by putting them in a sealed plastic bag and sqashing with a rolling pin.
- For the filling, whisk the egg yolks then gradually add the condensed milk, ricotta and cream cheese until smooth. Add the lime juice, then pour the mixture into the tin.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, then allow to cool.
- Sprinkle with lime zest then refrigerate for 4 hours.
- For the sorbet, heat the water and sugar together in a saucepan until the sugar dissolves. Add the lime juice and Cachaca and mix. Churn in an ice cream machine or pour the mixture into a large plastic bowl and freeze, mixing every 10 minutes with a wooden spoon to break up the
- Serve the pie in thick wedges with a scoop of the sorbet.