Lamb shish kebabs
Preparation time: 25 minutes, plus marinating time
Cooking time: under 20 minutes
450g (1lb) lean lamb leg, cut into 2.5cm/1inch cubes
For the marinade
3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
Grated zest and juice of 1⁄2 lemon
3 tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
2 tbsp freshly chopped mint
1 tbsp freshly chopped oregano
Salt and freshly milled black pepper
For the kebabs
1 large red onion, cut into 5cm/2inch pieces
1 large yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into 5cm/2inch pieces
1 large red pepper, deseeded and cut into 5cm/2inch pieces
Extra oil, for the vegetable kebab
For the houmous
2 x 400g (14oz) cans chick peas, drained
Juice of 2 lemons
3 tbsp water
3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground paprika
2 tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
1 tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
Extra ground paprika, to garnish
1. In a large bowl, mix together the marinade ingredients. Add the lamb, stir gently, cover and marinate in the fridge for 1 hour or overnight, if time allows.
2. Soak 8 wooden kebab skewers in water for 20 minutes.
3. To prepare the houmous; put the chick peas, half the lemon juice and water in a food processor or blender and whizz to form a coarse paste. Add the remaining lemon juice, garlic, seasoning, oil and blend again. Adjust the seasoning if required and stir through the parsley. Transfer to a small bowl and garnish with the paprika.
4. Thread the meat and peppers onto separate kebab skewers. Brush the vegetables with a little oil.
5. Cook on a prepared barbecue or under a preheated moderate grill or for 12-16 minutes, turning occasionally.
6. Serve with the houmous and a buckwheat salad.
If preferred replace the lamb with cubes of sirloin, picanha or rump steaks. Shop-bought houmous works well too.
Recipe and image courtesy of simplybeefandlamb.co.uk