Preparation time: 20-25 minutes
Cooking time: approximately 2 hours 10 minutes
675g (1½lb) lean boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 2.5cm (1in) cubes
2 tbsp oil
3 large shallots or 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
2 tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp ground turmeric
¼ tsp sweet paprika
Salt and freshly milled black pepper
Pinch saffron threads
450ml (¾ pint) hot water
1 cinnamon stick
2 sprigs fresh thyme
3-4 dried apricots, roughly chopped
3 tbsp freshly chopped coriander
2 tbsp fresh pomegranate seeds
- Heat the oil in a large 1.7litre/3pint ovenproof dish, add the onions, ginger, turmeric, paprika and seasoning. Cook over a low heat (170°C/R3) for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the meat and garlic, coat in the flavoured oil and cook for 4-6 minutes until brown all over.
- Add the saffron and water. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- 20 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the cinnamon stick, thyme, apricots and coriander Cover and continue to cook for the remainder of the cooking time.
- Remove the thyme and cinnamon stick from the tagine. Garnish with the pomegranate seeds and serve with steamed couscous or rice.