Mac ‘n’ cheese with horseradish
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
500ml semi-skimmed milk
2tbsp creamed horseradish sauce
100g lighter mature Cheddar, grated
10 cherry tomatoes, halved
25g fresh breadcrumbs
120g bag salad
1. Put the pasta in a large saucepan and cover with salted boiling water. Bring back to the boil, stir once, then cook for 7 minutes. Drain and set aside in a 1 litre-baking dish. Preheat the oven to180ºC/R4.
2. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large saucepan and stir in the flour. Cook for 1-2 minutes to make a paste, then gradually pour in the milk. Over a very gentle simmer, whisk the sauce for about 5-6 minutes until it thickens.
3. Add the horseradish, paprika and cheese (reserving a tbsp for the topping) and stir until the cheese has melted. Season.
4. Pour the sauce over the drained pasta and mix well. Scatter over the tomatoes, and mix the breadcrumbs with the reserved cheese before sprinkling on top.
5. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes and then put under a preheated grill for 5 minutes until the breadcrumbs have turned golden brown. Serve with the salad leaves.
TIP: Add some crispy bacon bits to the sauce for a meaty treat
Recipe and image courtesy of Sainsbury’s