Magic carrot soup
Serves: 4-6 toddler portions
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: approx 30 minutes
50g unsalted butter
1 onion, chopped
500g carrots, chopped
500ml reduced salt vegetable stock
100g dried red lentils
½ tsp salt – plus a good twist of pepper
3 tablespoons growing up milk – ready-made or made up from powder form
- Melt the butter in a large non-stick pan on a medium heat and sauté the onion for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, stock, lentils and water and rapidly simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally towards the end, until the carrots are tender. Stir through the salt, pepper and Growing Up Milk.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes then blitz in a blender (or similar) until it’s smooth. Test for temperature and then serve.
- Add some gentle spice by adding 1 tsp ground cumin at stage 1 of the method. You could also use ground ginger.
- Add a tin of drained butterbeans instead of the lentils.
- Serve with chunky bits of bread (or even cooked pasta shapes) thrown into the soup, to soak it up.