Makes: 1 loaf
Preparation time: 20 minutes, plus proving time
Cooking time: 30-35 minutes
200g (7oz) strong wholemeal bread flour
250g (9oz) strong white bread flour
25g (1oz) oatmeal
25g (1oz) oats + 1 tbsp
10g (½oz) sachet of dried yeast
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp clear honey
2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- Mix the flours, oatmeal, 25g (1oz) oats, salt and yeast in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix 300ml (10fl oz) warm water with the honey and oil then stir into the flour to form a dough.
- Knead on a floured surface for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover and leave in a warm place for 30-60 minutes until it has doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/R6. Grease a 1kg (2¼lb) loaf tin.
- Knock the dough back and mould into a rough loaf shape, then drop into the prepared tin. Cover and leave for 30 minutes or until doubled in size. Sprinkle the remaining oats over the top and bake for 30-35 minutes until golden.
- Remove from the tin and allow to cool, then serve with jam, marmalade or lemon curd. The bread will keep for 1-2 days in an airtight container.
Tip: Simply roll into a large round shape and place straight on a greased baking tray and bake without using a loaf tin. For a savoury start to the day, try serving with smoked mackerel pate.