Orange and honey-glazed skewers
The sticky honey and orange glaze is the perfect finishing touch
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
4 large skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2.5cm cubes
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2.5cm cubes
Fresh bay leaves
Salt, to season
Oil, to drizzle (if using a griddle pan)
2 tbsp honey or sugar
Bamboo skewers, soaked in cold water for 30 minutes
1-2 chillies, cut into thin strips
2 spring onions, cut into thin strips
Fresh ginger, to taste, peeled and cut into thin strips
3 tbsp honey
Juice of 2 oranges
Cracked black pepper
5 sprigs of thyme
- To make the marinade, put the chillies, spring onions, thyme and ginger in a large bowl. Add the honey, orange juice, black pepper and mix well. Coat the chicken in the marinade, cover and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- In the meantime cook the cubed sweet potatoes in boiling water for 4 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- When the chicken has marinated for long enough, drain and reserve the marinade. Build your skewers starting with a cube of sweet potato, followed by a piece of chicken and a bay leaf. Repeat this pattern until each skewer is full. When all the skewers have been prepared, season well with salt.
- Cook on the BBQ or a griddle pan until the juices from the chicken run clear, turning frequently.
- While the chicken is cooking, pour the marinade in a pan, add the honey or sugar and bring to the boil. As soon as it starts boiling, turn the heat down and reduce the marinade to a thick syrup, then remove from the heat and keep warm.
- When the chicken is cooked, coat it immediately with the cooked marinade and serve with salad on the side.
Recipe and image courtesy of lovesweetpotatoes.com