Pain Au Chocolat & Brandy Pudding
A decadent, chocolate rich, brandy infused alternative to the British classic bread and butter pudding, almost akin to the cocktail Lumumba in a pudding bowl!
Cooking time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- 6 frozen Pain Au Chocolat
- 3 medium eggs
- 15ml light brown soft sugar
- 300ml milk
- 150ml double cream
- 50g plain chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 30-45ml brandy
- Topping: 5ml Demerara sugar
- Cinnamon, a sprinkle (optional)
1. Bake the Pain Au Chocolat as directed on the pack. Cool slightly and slice each equally into three. Arrange in a single layer in a greased ovenproof dish – approximately 27 x 22.5 x 5 cm.
2. Using a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together.
3. Pour the milk and cream into a saucepan and heat until almost boiled. Add the chocolate, reduce the heat and allow to melt, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
4. Stir the chocolate milk mixture, and brandy into the eggs.
5. Carefully pour the chocolate and egg mixture over the Pain Au Chocolat slices and press down gently. Allow to stand for 30 minutes for absorption.
6. Scatter the surface with Demerara sugar and cinnamon. Bake at Mark 4/180°C for 35-40 minutes until lightly browned and the surface has set with a slight wobble in the centre. Serve with lightly whipped cream or brandy sauce.