Pork in Madeira Sauce
Pork steaks in a full bodied, rich creamy mushroom and shallot sauce.
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 6 frozen pork steaks, defrosted
- 75g frozen chopped shallots
- 15g butter
- 5-10ml vegetable oil
- 300g frozen sliced medley of mushrooms (speciality mushrooms)
- 150ml chicken stock
- 15ml tomato purée
- 20ml cornflour
- 45ml cold water
- 150ml Madeira wine
- 200ml crème fraiche
- Ground pepper
1. Fry or grill the pork steaks as directed, and keep hot.
2. Prepare the sauce: fry shallots in the butter and oil for 2-3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue to fry for 4 minutes.
3. Pour in the stock and tomato purée, bring to the boil. Stir in the blended cornflour and allow to thicken, stirring constantly; simmer for 2 minutes.
4. Add the wine, crème fraiche and ground pepper, stirring to combine. Return the pork to the pan, and heat through until hot.
5. Serve with your choice of vegetables or, to ring the changes, see recipe below for “Roasted Orange Glazed Vegetables”.
1. Replace the Madeira with red or white wine, if preferred.
2. To prepare “Roasted Orange Glazed Vegetables” – place 200g each frozen roasting parsnips, baby carrots and butternut squash in a roasting tin. Pour over 200ml orange juice and drizzle with 15ml olive oil. Roast at Mark 7 / 220˚C until golden brown for approximately 40 minutes, turning once during cooking.