Welcome to one of this month’s healthy family recipes.
Please share your own ideas and healthy family recipes in the Healthy Family Recipes section of Candis Chat
Pork Medallions with Blackcurrant, Apple & CrispySage
1½ tbsp butter
glug of olive oil
1 small red eating apple, cored and cut into medium sized wedges
3 tsp brown sugar
450g pork tenderloin
a handful of fresh sage leaves
1 tbsp cassis
300ml fresh chicken stock
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1. On a medium heat, melt 1/2 tbsp butter in a pan with a little olive oil and add the apple wedges to the pan, then sprinkle with 1 tsp of the sugar.
2. Cook for a few minutes on each side until golden, adding the sage for the final minute.
3. Transfer everything to a warmed plate and set aside in a warm place.
4. Slice the pork into pieces about 1cm (½ inch) thick. Turn the heat up a little, and add a little more oil if necessary. Cook the pork for 2-3 minutes on each side until lightly golden before adding to the apple slices and sage.
5. Deglaze the pan with the port and cassis and bring to the boil. Lower the heat to medium and simmer uncovered for about 5-10 minutes until reduced to a few tablespoons, then pour in the chicken stock and remaining 2 tsp of sugar.
6. Continue to cook steadily for another 5-10 minutes until thickened to a sauce-like consistency and reduced further by half, then add the blackcurrants and continue to cook for a few more minutes.
7. Pass the sauce through a sieve into a small pan, then place over a low heat and gradually whisk in the remaining butter and some seasoning.
8. When ready to serve, drizzle the blackcurrant sauce over the pork and apple, garnished with the crispy sage.
For more recipes, please visit www.blackcurrantfoundation.co.uk