Roast Shallots with Pennoni Regati, Chargrilled Pumpkin and Pumpkin Seeds
Chef Paul Collins says: ‘Roast Shallots with Pennoni Regati, Chargrilled Pumpkin and Pumpkin Seeds’
We say: ‘Shallot and Pumpkin Penne’
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
1 small pumpkin or butternut squash
20 small round shallots
300g pennoni regati or penne pasta
50g pumpkin seeds
6 tablespoons water
Knob of butter
1 sprig of rosemary, chopped
Rocket, for dressing
1. Peel and cut the squash into 1 inch cubes or similar sized pieces. Season the squash with salt and pepper. Drizzle over a little olive oil then sauté for 5 minutes in a non-stick hot pan until coloured on the outside.
2. Peel the shallots and add to the squash in the non-stick pan. When they are both cooked remove from the pan and set aside on a plate lined with kitchen paper.
3. Cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling salted water. When cooked drain.
4. Toast the pumpkin seeds in the oven at 180°c for 5 minutes.
5. Add a quarter of the cooked squash with the chilli and the water to the same pan as the shallots were in and cook a little bit more until it almost starts to break down. Add a knob of butter as this will form the sauce. Add the chopped rosemary, mix and then add the cooked squash and the shallots. Then mix in the hot cooked pasta. Check the seasoning and serve in hot bowls. Grate or shave over the parmesan. Finish with fresh rocket leaves and a little olive oil.