Red Pesto Steak with Pasta and Peppers
Rare: 2½ minutes on each side
Medium: 4 minutes on each side
Well done: 6 minutes on each side
- 450g (1lb) rump, sirloin or rib-eye steaks
- 375g (12oz) pasta shapes, e.g. twists
- 15ml (1tbsp) oil
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and finely sliced
- 30-45ml (2-3tbsp) red pesto sauce
- 150ml (¼pint) good, hot vegetable stock
- 90ml (6tbsp) half-fat crème fraîche
- Salt and pepper
- 30ml (2tbsp) freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
1. Cook the pasta according to the packet instruction, drain and set aside.2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and cook the steak according to your preference. Set aside to rest for 2-3 minutes, then cut into thin slices.
3. In the same frying pan cook the onions until soft but not coloured. Add the peppers and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Stir in the pesto, stock and crème fraîche. Add the cooked pasta, reduce the heat and simmer for a further 2-3 minutes.
5. Add the steak and any remaining meat juices from the plate and toss gently. Season, if required.
Serving Suggestion: Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and serve with granary bread.