Red Velvet Cupcakes
For a bit of glamour and ‘wow’ these cupcakes are hard to beat! They are best eaten on the day of baking.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
60g low fat spread
15g granular Canderel Yellow
1 tbsp dark cocoa powder
2 tsp red food colouring
150g Self raising flour
1tsp baking powder
2 tsp white wine vinegar
Pinch of salt
For the topping:
50g/2oz low fat spread
About 2 tbsp granular Canderel Yellow
125g/4oz low fat cream cheese, chilled
*You will need 6 large cupcake cases*
1. Preheat the oven to 180C (350F) Gas 4
2. Add the low fat spread to the bowl of a food mixer then add the eggs and Canderel Yellow, now beat for a few minutes until the mixture becomes light and creamy.
3. In another bowl mix together the cocoa powder and red food colouring then add to the creamed mixture and beat again until it all combines.
4. Now turn the mixer speed to low and add the buttermilk, flour and baking powder and beat until it is all combined. It should be a fabulous red colour
5. Pour in the white wine vinegar and salt and beat on slow for a couple more minutes. The mixture will be fairly runny
6. Sit the paper cases into a deep 6 whole muffin tin then carefully spoon the mixture into the cases, making sure no mixture spills. Put in the oven and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the cakes are springy when touched. Remove from the oven and let them cool for 10 minutes. Then remove and sit them on a wire rack to cool completely before topping.
7. While they are cooling, beat the low fat spread and Canderel Yellow together until well combined then beat in the cream cheese until it is light and fluffy. Spread or pipe over the cupcakes and top with a cherry.