Red Wine Poached Pears with Venetian Rice Pudding
6 peeled whole pears
500ml red wine
500g Billington’s golden caster sugar
zest 1 lemon
zest 1 orange
5 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
12 juniper berries
Venetian Rice Pudding
300ml Double cream
1 Silver Spoon Create Vanilla pod split and scraped
55g Billington’s golden caster sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 stick cinnamon
Pinch of grated nutmeg
Zest of 1 orange
Zest of 1 lemon
100g Arborio or pudding rice
1. Place everything (except the pears) into a pan, bring to a slow simmer, and cook for 10 minutes.
Add your pears and cook on a low simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
2. Leave to cool in the liquid. It is best to leave them in there for a day so they are well marinated, you can then either serve them hot or cool.
3. Warm the Marsala then add the sultanas and continue to warm. Once warmed through, then leave to stand for 30 minutes.
4. Now place the rest of the ingredients into a pan (excluding the rice) then bring up to a very slow simmer, and then add the rice and Marsala and sultanas.
5. This will then need to be stirred now and again for approx 35 minutes until soft.
6. Or you can infuse the sultanas and milk for thirty minutes and then bake in the oven for about 45 minutes at 180˚c.