Rhubarb Fool with Vanilla Mousse and Shortbread Biscuits
5 egg yolks
100g Billington’s golden caster sugar
1 Silver Spoon Create vanilla pod split and scraped
2 leaves soaked gelatine
200ml whipped cream
500g roughly chopped rhubarb
140g Billington’s golden caster sugar
1 Silver Spoon Create Vanilla pod split and scraped
300g rhubarb puree
300g whipped cream
150g Billington’s golden caster sugar
1 lemon, zested
500g Allinson Nature Friendly plain flour
1 vanilla pod, split and scraped
I egg yolk
1. Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar and vanilla seeds.
2. Place the milk and cream with the vanilla bean onto a low heat for 15 minutes to infuse slowly.
3. Add this to the egg yolks and sugar. Whisk well, and return to a pan on a low heat and cook to 85˚c and then add the gelatin.
4. Pass through a fine sieve, into a bowl set over ice. Stir now and again until almost set, and then fold in the softly whipped cream. Place into the bottom of 4 glasses and refrigerate.
5. Place altogether in a pan and cover with a lid and then cook slowly (without colouring) until it is soft, for approx 20 minutes.
6. Remove the lid and reduce the juice and stir with a fork, so it breaks down, then cool and drain in a sieve, so that all the liquid drains out. This can be kept to go over the fool at the end.
7. Place the whipped cream gently into the rhubarb, then place this on top of the vanilla mousse and some of the juice
8. Mix the butter, sugar, lemon and vanilla in a bowl until white and pale, add the flour and the egg yolk, let the mix rest in the fridge for 15 minutes. Roll out to 0.5cm thickness; roll in caster sugar then cut into small oblongs or rounds. Bake in the oven on 160˚c for 15-20 minutes.