Roasted Apple and Frangipane with Butterscotch Sauce
1 vanilla pod split
50g Billington’s golden caster sugar
80g Billington’s dark muscovado sugar
200g Billington’s golden caster sugar
4 whole eggs
200g ground almond
30g corn flour
1. Peel the apples and cut into half, then cut each half into 3 pieces, heat up in a frying pan on a medium high heat and add the apples.
2. Sprinkle in the caster sugar and toss the apples until they are well caramelised. Add the split vanilla pods and then add the butter.
3. When this is melted, keep tossing the apples until they are a nice golden colour. When they start to go soft (approximately 8 minutes), add the calvados. Cook for 1 more minute, until they become sticky and put aside.
4. Boil the cream. Place the sugar into a pan to make a dark caramel and then add the cream. Whisk in the butter and then put aside.
5. Cream your butter and golden caster sugar together and then add the eggs one by one, then add the ground almonds and corn flour.
6. Place into a greaseproof tray (1.5cm deep) and bake in the oven on 180˚c for 12-15 minutes.
7. Then turn out and leave to cool before cutting into long oblongs approx 2 inches width and 4 inches long.
8. Then place the apples on top of the frangipane and pour butterscotch sauce over and around before serving.