Roasted Squash and Caramalized Onion Quiche
Welcome to one of this month’s healthy family recipes.
Please share your own ideas and healthy family recipes in the Healthy Family Recipes section of Candis Chat
- 110g margarine, cubed
- 200g plain flour
- 50ml water
- ½ butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 400g)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp caramelized onions or onion chutney
- 200ml Calcium or Organic Rice Dream
- 2 eggs
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 30g pine nuts
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 90 minutes
1.Make the pastry by rubbing the margarine into the flour using your fingertips, until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Pour in the water and, using a round-bladed knife, quickly bring everything together into a dough. Chill until required.
2. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas mark 6
3. Place the butternut squash in a roasting tin with the olive oil and some seasoning, then roast for about 20 minutes until the squash is tender and starting to caramelize.
4. Roll out the pastry and use it to line a quiche tin, prick the base and bake blind for 15 minutes.
5. Spread the onions over the pastry case then scatter over the roasted squash.
6. Whisk together the Rice Dream with the eggs and a generous amount of seasoning.
7. Pour into the tart case and top everything with the pine nuts.
8. Bake for 25-30 minutes until set and golden.
9. Serve with a crunchy green salad.
Caramelized onions are easy to make. Peel 2 large onions, halve and slice, then cook in a little oil for about 30 minutes. They will release their natural sugars and become soft and flavourful.