Sausage kebab and quinoa salad
Host a BBQ to remember by serving this dish
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
For the salad:
1 red or green pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
½ a butternut squash, deseeded and roughly chopped
2 courgettes, thickly sliced
4 garlic cloves, skin left on
50g hazelnuts, roughly chopped
250g uncooked quinoa
Zest and juice 1 lemon
100ml olive oil
1 bunch of mint, roughly chopped
1 bunch of parsley, roughly chopped
For the kebabs:
1 pack of caramelised red onion sausages, chopped into large chunks
½ a butternut squash, thickly cubed, boiled and drained (skin on)
1 red pepper, deseeded, halved and cut into chunks
1 red onion, thickly sliced
1. Preheat oven to 200°C/R6.
2. Tip the pepper, squash and courgettes into a baking tray. Smother with salt, olive oil and paprika. Roast for 20 minutes.
3. Take out of the oven and tip the onion, garlic and hazelnuts into a roasting dish. Toss and roast for 20 mins, then allow to cool.
4. Prepare quinoa according to the pack instructions.
5. In a bowl, mix the lemon zest and juice with 100ml oil. Squeeze the roasted garlic pulp from skins into the bowl, mash well and fold in the mint and parsley. Pour over the veg then toss with the quinoa and hazelnuts. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
6. Thread the sausages on to four skewers with the cooked butternut squash cubes, pepper and onion. Fry in a non-stick frying pan in a little olive oil over a high heat until skewers are lovely and golden.
7. Divide the salad mix between four bowls and top with each with a sausage skewer. Serve hot.
Recipe and images courtesy of debbieandandrews.co.uk