Shredded beef brisket
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 31⁄2 hours
900g (2lb) lean brisket joint (unrolled)
2 tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
Salt and freshly milled black pepper
1 tbsp chipotle paste (available at larger supermarkets)
200ml (7fl oz) good, hot beef stock
1 x 400g (14oz) can chopped tomatoes with herbs
2 tbsp runny honey
3 tbsp Bourbon whiskey, optional
For the sweet onions
2 red onions, peeled and sliced
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp caster sugar
Bread rolls, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C/R2.
2. Heat half the oil in a large non-stick frying pan.
3. Place the joint on a chopping board and season all over with salt and pepper. Brown the joint on all sides and transfer to a large flame/ ovenproof dish with a lid.
4. Add the chipotle paste, stock, tomatoes, honey and Bourbon (if used). Cover, transfer to the oven and cook for 3-31⁄2 hours until the beef is tender.
5. Meanwhile prepare the sweet onions; put the onions in a small pan with the water and sweat over a moderate heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the vinegar and sugar. Continue to cook the onions for a further 10-15 minutes until soft and syrupy.
6. Transfer the beef to a clean chopping board, reserving the sauce and ‘pull’ apart by securing with a fork and shredding the meat with a second fork.
7. Pile the shredded brisket in rolls of your choice, spoon over the sauce and serve with the onions.
Recipe and image courtesy of simplybeefandlamb.co.uk