Simple roast chicken with bacon
– Special mid-week roast occasion
Here’s a recipe that produces all the wonderful cooking smells of a roast, yet is very easy to do during the week. Chicken breasts are wrapped in bacon then roasted over a bed of chopped vegetables and served with Aunt Bessie’s Perfect for Chicken Gravy and Perfect for Chicken Yorkshires.
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 celery stick, finely chopped
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
4 chicken breasts
4 sage leaves
4 rashers streaky bacon
Aunt Bessie’s Perfectly Mashed Carrot & Swede
Aunt Bessie’s Perfect for Chicken Yorkshires
300g frozen peas, thawed
2 pots Aunt Bessie’s Perfect for Chicken Gravy
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6. Put the chopped onion, carrot and celery in a flameproof roasting tin and season well. Drizzle with 1tbsp oil.
- Put the chicken on a board, put a sage leaf on top of each and wrap the streaky bacon around each piece. Secure with a cocktail stick. Place on top of the chopped vegetables, drizzle with the remaining 1tbsp oil and pour 100ml water into the tin. Season well and roast for 30-40 minutes until the chicken is golden and the juices run clear when the chicken is pierced with a skewer.
- Put the carrot and swede mash in a pan and reheat according to the packet instructions. Cook the Yorkshires according to the packet instructions. Reheat the peas in a pan with a splash of water until hot.
- Take the chicken out of the oven and place the chicken pieces on a plate. Keep warm. Make up the chicken gravy in a jug with 200ml boiling water. Pour into the roasting tin. Heat gently for 2 minutes, stirring all the time.
- If you like a smooth gravy, strain into a jug. Otherwise leave as it is. Remove the cocktail stick from the chicken and serve with the mash and peas and spoon the gravy over the top, ensuring everyone has some of the vegetables, too.