Sliders with fennel salad
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 6 minutes
For the burgers
2 tbsp sunflower oil
3 chicken fillets
3 chicken thighs, bones removed
1 red onion, finely chopped
3 tbsp roughly chopped parsley
75ml (3floz) piri-piri sauce
100g (31/2floz) toasted breadcrumbs
125g (41/2oz) mozzarella
8 small crusty bread buns
For the fennel salad
1 fennel bulb, thinly shaved into ribbons
100g (31/2oz) cherry tomatoes, halved
1 large tomato, roughly chopped
3 passion fruit
5 tbsp natural yoghurt
Salt to taste
- Chop the chicken very finely.
- Combine the chicken with the grated red onion, parsley, piri-piri sauce and toasted breadcrumbs. Allow the mixture to sit for 30 minutes before rolling into golf ball sizes.
- Heat the oil to a medium heat.
- Place the balls in the pan, press them down to make a patty shape and cook until browned and cooked through. This should take about 3 minutes on each side.
- To make the fennel salad, toss together the fennel, halve and chopped tomatoes, the passion fruit pulp and yoghurt. Season with salt and pepper and toss.
- Halve the buns and toast lightly before adding the chicken patty topped with torn mozzarella and the tangy fennel salad.
Recipe and image courtesy of Nando’s