Slow roast lamb
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 2½hours
900g (2lb) lean half leg lamb
Salt and freshly milled black pepper
2 tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
6 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
2 sprigs fresh rosemary or thyme leaves, roughly chopped
8 anchovy fillets, drained and finely chopped
50g (2oz) green olives, drained and finely chopped
300ml (½ pint) white wine or good, hot vegetable stock
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/R3.
- In a small bowl mix together half the oil, garlic, rosemary, anchovies and olives.
- Place the joint on a chopping board and make several slashes over the surface with a sharp knife. Season and stuff the garlic mixture into the slits and over both sides of the joint.
- Heat a large non-stick pan with the remaining oil and brown the lamb on both sides along with any remaining garlic mixture.
- Transfer to a large ovenproof casserole dish with any remaining mixture from the pan.
- Add the wine or stock, cover with a lid or foil and cook in the oven for 2½hours, basting occasionally.
- Serve the lamb with hot new potatoes and purple sprouting broccoli or braised leeks.