Smoky bacon, tomato and egg bake
Cooking time: About 20-25 minutes
Oven temperature: Gas mark 7, 200˚C, 400˚F
200g (7oz) dry cured oak smoked thick cut back bacon rashers – about 6 rashers
5ml (1tsp) olive oil
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
15-30ml (1-2tbsp) smoked paprika
400g (approx) can chopped tomatoes
30ml (2tbsp) tomato ketchup
1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 7, 200˚C, 400˚F.
- Leave 4 rashers of bacon whole and chop the remaining 2 into large pieces.
- In a large pan heat the oil and add the chopped bacon, onion and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the onion begins to soften. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into four individual shallow gratin dishes or one large dish. Take the whole rashers of bacon and curl into a rough circle and place on top of the mixture. Make a slight indent in the mixture, crack eggs and place in the centre of each individual dish or evenly on the top of one large dish. Place in oven and bake for about 20 minutes until the eggs have set.
- Serve with chunks of crusty bread for dipping.