Somerset fondue with British asparagus & new potatoes
Welcome to one of this month’s healthy family recipes.
Please share your own ideas and healthy family recipes in the Healthy Family Recipes section of Candis Chat
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
1 bunch British asparagus spears
250g new potatoes
for the fondue:
2 tbsp flour
250ml Thatchers Katy dry cider
3 fresh sage leaves
200g mature Somerset Cheddar
200g Lubborn Somerset brie
1 tsp Suffolk Mud English mustard
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
What to do:
1. Put the potatoes into a pan with cold water, bring to the boil and cook until tender.
2. Whilst the potatoes are cooking, melt the butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan and add the flour to form a roux. Cook for a minute over a low heat, being careful not to let the roux burn.
3. Pour in the cider, whisking vigorously until you have a smooth thickened sauce. Simmer for a couple for minutes and add the sage leaves and mustard, then reduce the heat to as low as possible.
4. Cut the cheese into small cubes. Begin to gradually add them to the hot cider sauce stirring well and making sure the cheese is fully melted before you add more. Once all the cheese in incorporated season to taste.
5. Cook the asparagus in boiling water for 4-5 minutes until just tender. Drain and arrange on a platter with the cooked potatoes.
6. Transfer the fondue to a fondue bowl or eat straight from the pan, dipping in the asparagus and potatoes.
For more information visit www.british-asparagus.co.uk