Spiced apple cake
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
Makes: 1 cake
450g (1lb) cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
110g (4oz) softened butter
110g (4oz) golden caster sugar
175g (6oz) sultanas
2 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tbsp boiling water
125g (41/2oz) plain flour
100g (31/2oz) wholemeal flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground allspice
3 tbsp demerara sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/R4.
2. Put the apples in a pan with approximately 3 tablespoons of water. Allow to cook for 10 minutes over a medium/low heat until soft. Mash the apples to a purée, draining off any excess juice.
3. Cream the butter and caster sugar together for 2-3 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add the apple purée and stir in the dried fruit. Mix the bicarbonate of soda with the water and add this to the mixture.
4. Sift the flour and spices together and blend with apple mixture.
5. Pour into a greased and lined 23cm loose bottomed cake tin, smooth the top, sprinkle with the demerara sugar and bake for 45 minutes-1 hour.
6. Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
Recipe and image courtesy of www.whitworths-sugar.co.uk