Spicy mince and lentil stew
– meal for under £1 a head
– Serves: 6
This hearty and filling stew is made with lean minced beef and budget-friendly red lentils, along with Aunt Bessie’s Roasting Vegetable Mix and Classic Gravy for a good depth of flavour. Use mild, medium or hot curry paste, depending on how much spice you like.
1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing
250g Aunt Bessie’s Roasting Vegetable Mix
1 onion, finely chopped
2-3 tbsp curry paste
250g lean minced beef
50g red lentils
50g long grain rice
400g can chopped tomatoes
1 apple, finely grated
Salt and pepper
1 pot Aunt Bessie’s Classic Gravy
Coriander, natural yogurt and crusty bread, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan oven/gas mark 7. Lightly oil a roasting tin and tip the roast vegetable mix into it. Roast for around 35 minutes until golden.
- Heat 1tbsp oil in a pan and cook the onion over a low heat for 10 minutes until starting to soften. Stir in the curry paste and cook for 2 minutes. Add the minced beef and continue to cook until golden. Stir in the lentils, rice, chopped tomatoes and apple. Season well.
- Put the gravy in a jug and add 450ml boiling water. Stir to dissolve, then pour into into the pan. Cover and bring to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes over a low heat until the lentils have softened and the rice is cooked. If the stew is very thick, add another 150ml boiling water at this stage.
- Chop the roast vegetables into even-sized pieces and stir into the stew. Continue to cook for 2 minutes until heated through. Stir in the spinach.
- Spoon into bowls and serve with coriander, a dollop of yogurt and crusty bread.