Spinach and feta filo pie
6 sheets filo pastry
Melted butter for brushing
200g fresh spinach – wilted by placing in a sieve and pouring a little boiling water through, allow the spinach to drain well, then squeeze out excess moisture with kitchen paper.
1 red onion – diced
400g feta cheese
5-6 pieces sundried or sunblush tomato – cut into smaller pieces.
Black pepper and grated nutmeg – to season.
Poppy seeds for sprinkling.
Follow pastry preparation instructions.
- Preheat oven to 190⁰C/R5.
- Whist the spinach is cooling, gently sauté the onion in the butter and allow it to cool. Place prepared spinach, onion, tomato in a bowl and mix well, season well then crumble in the feta and mix together.
- To form the pie, use a 22cm loose-bottomed flan tin or ovenproof dish (by using the loose-bottomed tin you can un-mould the pie to serve but this is optional). Lightly brush a sheet of filo pastry and place in base of tin or dish so that the excess drapes over the sides. Repeat with two further filo sheets offsetting them so the base and sides of the tin are completely covered or lined.
- Put filling into the pie, spreading it evenly in the dish, then fold in the excess pastry so that it starts to cover the filling, brush again lightly with butter.
- Now make pie lid by brushing a sheet of filo with butter and tearing it into wide strips, place it on pie allowing it to fold or drape in ‘waves’. Continue with all remaining pastry, tucking some down around the sides of the pie between the dish and the pie, until filling is covered and pastry used up. Brush again very lightly and sprinkle with poppy seeds if desired.
Bake for 20 minutes or until pastry is crisp and golden brown. Serve hot, allowing the pie to stand for a few minutes before you un-mould it if you wish to do so.